About Me

My photo
hi, I am a 40+ year old who loves jewellery and all things sparkly. I also enjoy trying out and reviewing new makeup products, finding stylish walking sticks, reading and writing book reviews. I will review anything from bird tables/ hedgehog houses to the latest fashion! My Instagram account is @sparkling_magpie

Sunday 28 February 2021

Book Review: Family for Beginners by Sarah Morgan

When Flora falls in love with Jack who is a widower she isn’t just taking on a boyfriend but also his perfect wife and his two daughters. Izzy, especially, puts up barriers as she is angry her father has got a new replacement for her mother within a year of her mother dying. 

 I used to really enjoy Sarah Morgan’s M&B Modern novels and I feel this takes her novels one step further as this isn’t a formulaic romance but concentrates on the harsh realities of being the interloper or step parent in a new relationship. Having to live up to the perfect wife  (Jack is a widower), Flora has to contend with a nasty step daughter and continue the tradition of holidaying with Jack’s best friends who also were friends and holidayed with his wife.The more Flora tries to impress the more she fails and feels a failure with no support from Jack. Flora soon realises families aren’t perfect and there is no need to strive for perfection. This is a great family romance read which any step parent would identify elements of their own relationship .



  I received this book via Netgalley and Mills and Boon in exchange for a honest review. I am a #MillsAndBoonInsider #netgalley #gifted





Ea

2 comments:

  1. Sharp intake of breath when I see the name Mills and Boon but I didn't realise they published modern, pragmatic romances like this. I may take a closer look!

    ReplyDelete