About Me

My photo
hi, I am a 40+ year old who loves jewellery and all things sparkly. I also enjoy trying out and reviewing new makeup products, finding stylish walking sticks, reading and writing book reviews. I will review anything from bird tables/ hedgehog houses to the latest fashion! My Instagram account is @sparkling_magpie

Friday 22 October 2021

Hedgehog Feeding Station/ Advice For Winter

I have been feeding several wild hedgehogs who live in my garden for several years. I recently upgraded their living accommodation and decided I would also buy them a predator proof feeding station as I noticed that several cats had started to eat the hedgehog food. After searching Etsy/ EBay and Amazon I found the one I liked the most (£49.99 & £8 postage).

Before I start my review I would like to point out that whilst I was researching feeding stations I came across several blogs that said there was no need to leave food and water out as hedgehogs hibernate throughout winter.  They Do Not! My hedgies don’t hibernate at all - I have seen them stomping through the snow to get to their food and water. Also if a hedgehog is a late October birth it may well be underweight and need to come out of hibernation every so often to boost his/her calories. Anyway if you do feed hedgies thankyou so much and please continue to do so over Winter and if you don’t please consider doing so. I will leave links at the base of this post linking reputable rescues with details of suitable food, dishes and how to make cheap/ safe hedgehog houses and feeding stations. 

I purchased my new feeding station from llar01. He no longer sells via EBay but you can message him through there and he will give you his Facebook details. I chose this feeder because it isn’t varnished. Certain varnishes can kill hedgehogs so most houses/ feeders are either plain wood or coated with a water based animal safe varnish. I also liked that the main living room/ feeding area has a wooden base (some don’t). This means hedgies can curl up for a snooze in between eating if they want without getting a chill. The lid is water proof and has two locks which will help prevent nosy humans from taking a look inside. There are entrances on either side of the feeder. Hedgehogs are solitary animals so two of these means that is easier for them to avoid each other if they so wish. The baffles- the walls inside the feeder help prevent predators entering the main part of the feeder. The measurements are 75x 36.5x 24cm. 

Hedgehog Rescues/Reputable Sources of Information 

Little Silver Hedgehog

@HedgehogCabin (Twitter) 

Not the Hedgehog Society as they recently advised leaving out pumpkin out as a treat. Hedgehogs can’t digest it and it will make them ill. 

I purchased the item myself and the views expressed in my blog are my own 





2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is really cool. I would of never thought of this!
    ~Michelle
    https://Michellescrazybusylife.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read - learnt something new ! Ready to spread the news to all

    ReplyDelete