About Me

My photo
hi, I am a 40+ year old who loves jewellery and all things sparkly. I also enjoy trying out and reviewing new makeup products, finding stylish walking sticks, reading and writing book reviews. I will review anything from bird tables/ hedgehog houses to the latest fashion! My Instagram account is @sparkling_magpie

Tuesday 26 May 2020

Review: Gardman Kids Bird Seed Feeder



I have reviewed several Gardman bird items - the kids feeding station and seed feeder (briefly) in 2017, the Hanging feed station and the Mini bird bath. Since reviewing and using these items from 2017/2018 onwards I have managed to encourage a wide variety of birds (see picture of a select few posers) into my garden.  I feel that it is down to the ease of use of the items I purchased. They are easy to clean and fill up, seem to be easy to eat from, don’t need much maintenance and they are eye catching in colour (especially the kids range) to the birds. I recently purchased a new Gardman Kids Seed Feeder as I intend to hang it from one of my tree branches during the fledgling season so the parent birds don’t have to to fly to get food for their demanding babies. 


I like The sturdiness and brightness of the strawberry red metal lid as it seems to catch the birds’ attention. I use broken up peanuts during fledgling season as the babies are less likely to choke on pieces than full peanuts. These fit nicely (around 240g) into the feeder and they are easily   dispensed - the feeder is empty within a day! The lid and bottom are easy to remove to wash, just twist and pull to remove and to put back in just slot the metal inserts into the holes and twist. Even though I have poor hand control I find this easy to do. The container is easy to fill as the lid has to be fully removed and the tube is quite wide, whereas I struggle with flip top lids as they spring back as I am filling them. The Kids feeders  don’t rust despite being metal but the colour does fade - the one featured  with the two birds used to be red, three years later it is an orangey colour. Despite being a smallish feeder a wide variety of birds use mine without any problem. There is also a matching peanut feeder available but my birds prefer full peanuts to be left on their hanging feeder station! They have me well trained. There is also a bird bingo on the reverse of the paper wrap to help you identify and learn the names of the more well known garden birds which is a nice touch.
                         
 If you want to see more bird/hedgehog/butterfly/flowers photos I have a dedicated IG account - @susangray1375. 

I purchased this item myself and the views expressed in this blog are my own 







1 comment: