About Me

My photo
hi, I am a 40+ year old who loves jewellery and all things sparkly. I also enjoy trying out and reviewing new makeup products, finding stylish walking sticks, reading and writing book reviews. I will review anything from bird tables/ hedgehog houses to the latest fashion! My Instagram account is @sparkling_magpie

Tuesday 23 February 2021

Book Review: Confessions of an Italian Marriage by Dani Collins

Confessions of an Italian Marriage is published by M&B Modern and written by Dani Collins. I don’t normally comment on the book jacket picture but this time I will. I loved it. It is so rare to see a Hero in a wheelchair on the front of or in a storyline. As the picture can be the deciding factor in catching a potential reader’s eye as a disabled person I appreciated it as a move forward. 

Giovanni is the hero who happens to be an amputee wheelchair user and Freja is his new wife travelled the world with her father and was brought up in North Korea. Giovanni has had to go take his death and go into hiding due to his second career that he hasn’t told Freja about. She decides to flush him out, which she successfully does. He sees how his fake death has affected her and tries to fix the damage he has caused, but is it too late to save their marriage.

I enjoyed how Giovanni’s disabilities were matter of factly dealt with rather than being either the elephant in the room or romantized.  I also liked Freja’s childhood storyline, but put together they were almost too much. Both could have been standalone storylines. Nevertheless this is one of my favourite reads and I hope there are more along the same lines incorporating disabled hero/ines without virtue signalling that that is the focus.  

 I received this book via Netgalley and Mills and Boon in exchange for a honest review. I am a #MillsAndBoonInsider #netgalley #gifted

1 comment: