About Me

My photo
hi, I am a 40+ year old who loves jewellery and all things sparkly. I also enjoy trying out and reviewing new makeup products, finding stylish walking sticks, reading and writing book reviews. I will review anything from bird tables/ hedgehog houses to the latest fashion! My Instagram account is @sparkling_magpie

Saturday 20 February 2021

Book Review: The Mother Fault by Kate Mildenhall

The Dystopian novel The Mother Fault by is set in  the future in Australia. A spy thriller/ family drama this novel tells the story of where everyone is chipped and every aspect of their lives are controlled by the “Department”.  The author focuses the storyline on one family. Ben, the father has gone missing whilst working in Indonesia. Mimi, his wife and their two children, Essie and Sam must be dechipped and undergo a perilous sea journey to find him. 

I didn’t enjoy this novel as much as Skylarking. The premise of the book is excellent but the execution is lackLustre. I couldn’t warm to Mimi. She is supposed to be in love with her husband but goes off with another man whilst searching for him. She makes some terrible decisions whilst the storyline wanders along, lacking the focus and intrigue that a supposed spy thriller should posses.  The flashbacks to Mimi’s childhood are confusing, there are too many of them and they mostly unnecessary. 

 received this book via Netgalley and Mills and Boon in exchange for a honest review. I am a #MillsAndBoonInsider #netgalley #gifted 

1 comment: